Wednesday, December 13, 2006

visit with 3rd graders

On Wednesday morning I was invited by my nephew to visit his 3rd grade class in Augusta. We chatted for awhile about government, laws, and politics. Interestingly, this is the 2nd invitation I've had from 3rd graders in 2 weeks. Might it be that I'm more comfortable on their level?
At one moment I thought I was with much older students. I asked a question, "what does the bible say about government?" A young lad answered "the government will be on his shoulders." I was very impressed with this answer. He is referring to the Old Testament author, Isaiah, as he is prophesying the incarnation. This bible passage is also found in Handel's Messiah.
Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
What a great reminder that Jesus is the King of Kings and the “Reason for the Season”. Merry Christmas!