Friday, August 24, 2007

Elected Supervisor or Apppointed Administrator

There's a lot of buzz going around about changing the Anderson County Government from an appointed administrator to a supervisor elected county-wide. While I'm not sure how I stand on this issue, I did find out the proper method in which the form of a local government can be changed. Section 4-9-10(c) explains how a county can switch forms of government. A referendum must be held to change forms of government. A referendum may be called by the governing body or by a petition of 10% of the electorate. If the referendum is called by petition, the petition must be certified by the county board of registration within sixty days after it is delivered to the board and, if certified, shall be filed with the governing body which shall provide for a referendum not more than ninety days thereafter. Referendums are conducted by the county election commissioner and may be held in a general election or in a special election as determined by the governing body. After a referendum has been held and whether or not a change in the form results therefrom, no additional referendums shall be held for a period of four years. I understand the Anderson County Taxpayers Association is gathering signatures to call for this referendum. I'm not aware of our County Council discussing this issue. Your thoughts?